- Living & Visiting
- Environmental Sustainability
- Green Business Program
Green Business Program
The Village of Northbrook recognizes the role that businesses play in promoting a cleaner and greener future, and commits to promoting businesses that contribute to the success of Northbrook’s Climate Action Plan. The Village launched the Northbrook Green Business Program to officially celebrate local businesses who have made substantial efforts to become environmentally sustainable by adopting best practices in the following areas:
- Community Leadership
Six organizations have already been recognized as part of the Northbrook Green Business pilot program: click through the names below to learn more about their achievements.
- UL Solutions - Gold
- Lakeshore Recycle Systems - Gold
- Northbrook Public Library - Silver
- Shred Spot - Bronze
- The Claim Company of Northbrook - Bronze
- Granite Construction - Bronze
UL Solutions, 2500 Dundee Rd – Gold
Northbrook is proud to be the home to the 110-acre campus headquarters of UL Solutions, formally Underwriters Laboratories, a global leader in safety science. UL Solutions’ sustainability services and solutions are achieving worldwide recognition, from the development of more than 80 globally recognized sustainability standards to expertise in supply chains and product life cycles for greenhouse gas emissions reductions to service offerings that support the United Nations Sustainability Development Goals through their mission – working for a safer, more secure and sustainable world. UL worked with the Village to become the first gold-certified Northbrook Green Business through completion of many sustainability actions, including:
- Procurement of carbon offsets for 100% of emissions generated at the Northbrook campus;
- UL Solutions employees volunteer in the community to clean and restore beaches, preserves and highways; provide meals for those who are food-insecure; and support the mission of various nonprofit organizations including Ronald McDonald House Charities, Habitat for Humanity and Wright-Way animal rescue;
- Commitment to a Sustainability Policy to continuously measure and report on efforts to conserve water, improve our energy efficiency, and reduce waste; and
- In December, hosted the Northbrook Chamber to a visit to UL Solutions to talk about sustainability.
Lakeshore Recycle Systems, 2300 Carlson Dr – Gold
The LRS Northbrook Materials Recycling Facility is integral to sustainable waste management practices and will divert approximately 78 million pounds of post-consumer products each year from landfill disposal. LRS is committed to sustainable practices and an active partner with Northbrook in the implementation of the Climate Action Plan.
Additionally, the development and operation of the facility employ effective sustainable practices:
- Operational changes and electrification of on-site equipment will eliminate 20,000 to 41,000 gallons of diesel fuel usage each year.
- LED lighting installed throughout the facility (interior and exterior).
- Native plants and pollinator-friendly species maintained in the stormwater detention basin.
Northbrook Public Library, 1201 Cedar Ln – Silver
The Northbrook Public Library nurtures community and stimulates lifelong learning through innovative, responsive services and delivers excellent customer service to create a welcoming, inclusive environment.
Some examples of the Library’s ongoing partnership and commitment to Village sustainability goals are as follows:
- Adoption of Northbrook’s Climate Action Plan and formation of an internal Climate Action Plan Committee staff team.
- Several waste reduction initiatives including waste tracking, reusable product procurement, food waste receptacles for staff, and creation of a “Guidelines for Zero Waste Events” program.
- Provisions to encourage active transportation such as bike racks and commuter benefits for employees.
Shred Spot, 3141 MacArthur Blvd – Bronze
Environmental sustainability is at the core of local business Shred Spot’s mission. Shred Spot provides convenient and secure paper and electronics destruction services. For each ton of paper shredded by Shred Spot, the recycled paper created saves 17 trees from being cut down. For each ton of electronics destroyed and recycled, 1.65 tons of carbon emissions from burning coal are prevented from entering the atmosphere. Beyond the benefits provided by their everyday services, Shred Spot is proud to have accomplished the following sustainable actions:
- Completion of a facility energy assessment and recommended energy-efficient improvements.
- Commitment to eco-friendly procurement practices, including purchasing products in bulk to reduce packaging waste, and utilizing paper products with post-consumer recycled materials.
- Demonstrating leadership in the business community through participation with local charitable organizations such as the Hunger Resource Network.
The Claim Company of Northbrook, 776 Skokie Blvd – Bronze
Featuring casual American cuisine with burgers and full bar, the Claim Company of Northbrook offers outside dining, indoor dining, carryout as well as off premise catering options. The Claim Company holds a strong belief that community and civic involvement are extremely important, and helped the Village adapt the Green Business certification to restaurants during the pilot phase of the program.
Here are some examples of how they reduce their environmental impact through best practices:
- Installation of low-flow water fixtures to maintain energy and water efficiency.
- Prioritization for reusable cups, plates, utensils, etc., and only providing disposable products upon request for to-go orders.
- Commitment to energy efficiency through an appliance purchasing policy and inclusion of LED lighting and controls.
Granite Construction, 2215 Sanders Rd Ste 400 – Bronze
Granite Construction provides infrastructure solutions that sustain living conditions and improve quality of life. Granite is committed to integrating sustainable practices into their operations nationally to drive accountability for social, environmental, and economic performance. Their Illinois Regional office in Northbrook is dedicated to honoring this commitment by integrating sustainability goals into the local culture and practices. Granite’s following actions contributed to their Northbrook Green Business designation:
- Management partnered with the Village on Earth Day to educate staff about local endangered pollinators and distributed native plant seed packets.
- Diversion of 75% of waste from Illinois landfills through waste initiatives such as a recycling construction debris, single-use water bottle discontinuation, bulk product purchasing, and packaging reuse.
- Engagement of a designated staff team to implement sustainability-related actions.
How to Participate
In order to be recognized as a Bronze, Silver, or Gold-level Northbrook Green Business, businesses must complete the application process as detailed below.
Before the consultation begins:
- To get started, the organization’s point of contact should download the certification checklist.
- The business will complete the checklist to the best of their ability. For items not applicable, type in N/A and the point system will auto-populate. Once complete, email the checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this email, provide at least two potential dates/times you are available for a follow-up phone call.
- The Village Sustainability Coordinator invites the organization’s point of contact to book a consultation meeting to go over the checklist action points and answer any questions that they may have.
During the consultation:
- The Sustainability Coordinator and organization contact discuss the certification checklist during the meeting. The Village Sustainability Coordinator will highlight any action points that still need to be confirmed.
After the consultation:
- If all the action points are confirmed during the consultation, the Village Sustainability Coordinator sends the results, certificate, and communications materials.
- If there are certain action points to confirm before finalizing the organization’s score, the Sustainability Coordinator will send a follow-up email to the organization’s point of contact within 48 hours of the meeting to confirm remaining items. Once points are finalized, the Sustainability Coordinator sends the results, certificate, and communications materials.
By completing the Northbrook Green Business Program consultation, organizations receive relevant local resources and one-on-one support to help advance their ESG goals. Businesses that meet the program's criteria receive communications materials, will be promoted by the Village, and listed on the Village website as a recognized green business.
The communications materials provided by the Village will include:
- Northbrook Green Business Certificate
- Window decal with the bronze, silver, or gold Northbrook Green Business seal
- PNG file with the Northbrook Green Business seal
- Template social media post tailored to your business’ sustainability achievements