Crime Prevention Tips
Don't become a victim of crime! Review the following crime prevention safety tips in order to familiarize yourself in ways to make your home more secure:
Securing Your Home:
- Always lock doors, windows and set home alarms, if you have one, before leaving the house. Always lock deadbolt locks.
- If you have an attached garage, be sure to lock the inside door between your garage and house. If you have a detached garage, be sure to keep it secured.
- Install secure window well covers.
- If you have double-hung or sliding windows or doors, place a wooden rod or stick in the track.
- Keep your garage door closed. Garage burglaries are very common during the warmer months.
- Use timers for your lights if you come home after dark.
When You're Away from Home
- If you are going on vacation, be sure to stop mail service and cancel newspapers so they don't pile up in front of your home while you are away.
- If you will be away from an extended period, consider requesting a Vacation Watch on your home. See the link above for more information.
Securing Your Car
- Lock your car doors while at home, even if cars are stored inside your garage.
- Remove valuables from view inside vehicles, even if the vehicle is locked.
Suspicious Persons or Vehicles:
- Burglars can be male or female, young or old - driving any type of vehicle.
- Be on the lookout for suspicious vehicles that look out of place.
- Call the Police at 911 immediately with details, descriptions and plate numbers if you:
- See any suspicious vehicles driving slowly or repetitively through your neighborhood.
- Observe someone at a neighbor's front door, then see them walking to the side or rear of the house.
- Someone rings your doorbell "by mistake." Burglars never just break in - they always ring the bell to see if anyone is home.
Northbrook remains a safe community, and we all must work together to keep it safe. A few extra moments of precaution can save you from becoming a victim. For more information, contact the Police Department.
If you are interested in having a home safety check, please contact the Northbrook Police non emergency line at 847-564-2060.