- Village Government
- Codes & Regulations
- Code Enforcement & Violations
Code Enforcement & Violations
To protect the health, safety, and welfare of its residents, the Village of Northbrook sets forth maintenance standards for all properties within the Village boundaries.
File a Complaint Online
Residents may request the Village investigate a complaint via GONorthbrook.
What Are Typical Violations?
The Department looks to ensure that all exterior property maintenance violations are addressed. Code Enforcement violations may include:
- Construction Noise: Allowable hours for construction noise in the Village include 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. No construction noise is allowed on Sundays.
- Garbage: Garbage must be disposed of in an approved covered container, and can only be placed at the curb on scheduled pickup days. Garbage and recycling containers must be returned to the rear or side of your house within one day of pick up. For more information about how to properly dispose of household waste, please click here.
- Structure and Property: All vacant buildings, exteriors, including windows, doors, sheds, garages, fences, pools, siding, etc. must be kept in good and safe repair. For tenants suspecting landlord violations (e.g. mold, interior maintenance, leaking, improper cleaning, temperature of the unit, rodents, etc.), please view our Information for Renters.
- Vehicles: All vehicles must be operable, have valid license plates, and be parked on an approved hard surface of concrete or asphalt.
- Weeds and Grass: The Village has regulations that prohibit weeds and grass from growing to an average height of more than eight (8) inches. To view the Village’s procedures for weeds and grass violations, please click here.
General Code Enforcement Violation Procedures
When a request for inspection for a suspected violation is received, the Development and Planning Services Department employs the following standard operating procedures:
- An inspection will take place within two weeks to verify the violation.
- If a code violation is discovered, a violation notice will be sent to the property owner indicating a compliance date for resolving the issue. The compliance date will vary depending on the type of violation and scope of the remedy required.
- If the violation is not corrected or resolved by the compliance date, the Village will issue a second notice and/or proceed with issuing a citation requiring an appearance in the 2nd District Court or at the Village's Administrative Hearing.
Excessive Grass & Weeds Over 8 Inches
The Village of Northbrook’s Municipal Code Section 25-31 prohibits any weeds or traditional lawn grasses (bluegrasses, fescues, ryes, or bents) or exotic plants, other than trees, bushes, flowers, garden crops, or permitted ornamental grasses, native grasses, forbs, and wetland vegetation, to grow to an average height exceeding eight (8) inches anywhere in the Village. Any such unlawful weeds, lawn grasses or exotic plants exceeding such height are declared to be a nuisance.
- When a tall grass/weeds inspection request is received, an inspection will take place to verify the violation.
- If the violation is valid, a violation notice will be sent to the property owner with a five (5) day compliance date to have the area mowed.
- If the violation is not corrected or resolved within five (5) days, the Village of Northbrook will authorize our landscape contractor to cut the area and will invoice the owner for the cost of all cutting plus an administrative fee equal to fees outlined in the Annual Fee Ordinance.
- If the invoice is not paid, the Village of Northbrook will place a lien against the property for the amount owed.
Request a Tall Grass/Weeds Inspection Online
Residents may submit an inspection request through our Online Request Form. Please note, if you provide your email address you will be sent updates regarding any enforcement activity that takes place regarding your request.