Water Main Breaks

Water main breaks can occur in any water distribution system at any time. This page focuses on how to spot and report a break when you see one.

What Is a Water Main Break?

A main break occurs any time water begins escaping from a main (the underground pipe that distributes water throughout the Village). Breaks occur for many reasons, including a major fluctuation in temperature, and can be large or small, depending on the severity of the break.

What does a break look like?

Depending on the size of the main and the severity, a main break may look like water actively bubbling up from the ground or it may be as simple as a small stream of water flowing into a storm sewer. If you see flowing water in an unusual location, especially when the pavement and everything else is dry, you should report it for evaluation.

How can I report a break?

Contact the Public Works Department during its regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m to 3:00 p.m.) at 847-272-4711 to report an active break. Outside of those hours, contact the Police Department non-emergency line at 847-564-2060 to report it.

My water was shut off during a break. Is there anything special I should do?

To learn more about steps to take after a water shut down, please visit the Water Quality Page