Addition or Exterior Alteration ProjectsWhen the location of any part of the exterior walls and roof of an existing commercial building are changed, an addition permit is required. Visit the Interior Alterations page for more information.
See below for permit submittal requirements and for general construction information.
- Permit Application Packet (PDF) - The documents below have been combined into one PDF file.
- Building Permit Application
- Non-Residential Zoning Worksheet
- Building Site and Utility Data Worksheet
- Water Service and Meter Worksheet
- Fire Protection - Letter of Understanding (only if there is an existing fire protection system is this letter and a separate Fire Protection Permit required)
- Contractor of Record (Contractor License Requirements / Contractor License Application)
Application Fees & Deposits
- Permit Application Deposit - $750 (Due at time of permit application submission)
- Building Construction and Inspection Fee - Based on the total cost of the proposed work
- Additional fees may apply at time of permit pick-up
Drawing Requirements (To Be Submitted With Permit Application)
- Construction Documents - 4 rolled sets (see Architectural Drawing Requirements (PDF) for more information)
- Civil Engineering Drawings - 4 rolled sets (see Civil Engineering Submittal Guidelines (PDF) for more information)
- Village of Northbrook Standard Detail Sheet must be included with each civil engineering drawing set.
- Plat of Survey - 4 copies (survey must be sealed and be "to scale")
Separate Permit Requirements
- Back-Up Generator
- Cellular Antenna Tower (PDF)
- Parking Lot Resurfacing/Re-striping (PDF)
- Tree Removal
- Lawn Sprinkler