For existing commercial buildings, an alteration permit is required when any interior walls or structural elements are to be moved, altered or removed and when any exterior walls or roof surfaces are to be modified in the same location. If any exterior walls or roof surfaces are modified and are to be in a different location, visit our Additions page for more information.
These would be examples of alterations:
- Removing walls between rooms
- Enlarging windows or doors, (or changing locations)
- Interior structural changes in the wall, floor or roof construction
See below for permit submittal requirements and for general construction information.
- Permit Application Packet - The documents below have been combined into one PDF file.
- Building Permit Application
- Non-Residential Zoning Worksheet
- Building Site and Utility Data Worksheet
- Fire Protection - Letter of Understanding (only if there is an existing fire protection system is this letter and a separate Fire Protection Permit required)
- Contractor of Record (Contractor License Requirements/Contractor License Application)
- For Northbrook Court Tenants - Please see Northbrook Court Alteration Packet
Application Fees & Deposits
- For projects with a structural change - Permit Application Deposit - $250
- For projects without any structural changes - Permit Application Deposit - $100
- Building Construction and Inspection Fee - Based on the total cost of the proposed work
- Additional fees may apply at time of permit pick-up
Drawing Requirements (To Be Submitted With Permit Application)
- Construction Documents - 4 rolled sets (see Architectural Drawing Requirements for more information)
- Civil Engineering Drawings - 4 rolled sets (see Civil Engineering Submittal Guidelines for more information)
- Village of Northbrook Standard Detail Sheet must be included with each civil engineering drawing set.
Separate Permit Requirements
- Typical Commercial Construction Notes
- Certificate of Occupancy Request